(Updated March 6, 2017)
2014 - present
University of Colorado Boulder Ph.D., Computer Science, third year student
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- Advised by Leysia Palen
- Research interests: human-centered computing, social computing, crisis informatics
2010 - 2014
Santa Clara University B.S., Computer Science and Engineering
- Graduated cum laude
University of Edinburgh Study abroad, School of Informatics
Melissa Bica, Leysia Palen, and Chris Bopp. (2017). Visual Representations of Disaster. Proceedings of the 20th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW ‘17).
Jennings Anderson, Marina Kogan, Melissa Bica, Leysia Palen, Kenneth M. Anderson, Kevin Stowe, Rebecca Morss, Julie Demuth, Heather Lazrus, Olga Wilhelmi, and Jen Henderson. (2016). Far Far Away in Far Rockaway: Responses to Risks and Impacts during Hurricane Sandy through First-Person Social Media Narratives. Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management (ISCRAM ‘16).
Kyoung-Sook Kim, Melissa Bica, Isao Kojima, and Hirotaka Ogawa. (2015). RendezView: Look at Meanings of an Encounter Region over Local Social Flocks. Proceedings of the 6th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Workshop on GeoStreaming.
Posters & Workshop Papers
Melissa Bica and Jennings Anderson. (2016). You Are What You Tweet!” The Ethics of (Re) Publishing Public Data as Crafted Narratives. Workshop on Ethical Encounters in HCI Research at the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI ‘16). [Workshop Paper]
Melissa Bica and Kyoung-Sook Kim. (2015). RendezView: An Interactive Visual Mining Tool for Discerning Flock Relationships in Social Media Data. International Conference for High Performance Computing, Networking, Storage and Analysis (SC ‘15). [Poster]
University of Colorado Boulder
Guest Lecturer for CSCI4830: HCC Big Data Computing
August 2014 – May 2015
Teaching Assistant for CSCI1300: Introduction to Programming
June – July 2015
National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology
OSDC PIRE Fellow
February – December 2013
Center for Science, Technology, & Society (Santa Clara University)
Global Social Benefit Fellow
- Conducted research for social enterprises Anudip and iMerit as part of this 9 month, academic action research fellowship including seven weeks of field work in Kolkata, India.
- Developed curriculum and instructed women in HTML/CSS in a semi-rural iMerit center in Metiabruz.
June – August 2012
Interim Engineering Intern
- Developed automated Android system and graphics performance benchmark tests in Perl and Java.
- Improved efficiency by reducing time needed to perform tests and analyze results.
Programming Languages & Tools
- Python, HTML/CSS/JS, R, MATLAB, MongoDB, Jupyter Notebook, Tableau, QGIS
- Think-alouds, cognitive walkthroughs, personas/user stories, interviews, ethnographic observation, visual content analysis
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
Open Science Data Cloud Partnerships for International Research and Education (PIRE) Fellowship
Graduate Student Research Community Development Award
AY 2014 – 2015
Dean’s Fellowship (CU Boulder)
AY 2013 – 2014
Dean’s List (Santa Clara University)
Senior Design Presentation Session Award (Santa Clara University)
IEEE Women in Engineering International Leadership Conference Scholarship
Upsilon Pi Epsilon Computing and Information Honor Society
Willem P. Roelandts and Maria Constantino-Roelandts Grant
Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing Scholarship
Global Social Benefit Fellowship
Cisco-SCU Engineering Fellowship
Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing Scholarship
- ISCRAM 2017, CSCW 2017, CHI 2017
- Discovery Learning Apprenticeship, mentored 8 undergraduate researchers, Spring 2016
- CHI 2017, CHI 2016, SC 2015
ACM, ACM-W, ACM Special Interest Group Computer-Human Interaction (SIGCHI), Colorado Virtual Operations Support Team (COVOST)